Thursday, July 4, 2013

Children Need Families

Each morning when we wake up, Joy and I eagerly come downstairs to see the new pictures from China. We look at everything most recent, and then we often also visit the ones from Linda's gotcha day at Harmony House. Joy will always ask me to tell her the names of the children in the pictures.

This afternoon we were outside playing bubbles and talking about how Linda will love to play bubbles with Joy when she gets home. Joy was talking about all of our family members being together, and then she also included one of the little boys from HH. I asked her to repeat his name to be sure I knew what she was saying. We then continued talking about Linda coming home to our family and how wonderful it is that both Joy and Linda are a part of our family. I told her that the little boy she mentioned as well as the other children at HH also need families. Then she looked right at me and said, "Let's pray!" She wanted to pray for this one little boy in particular. I was amazed, and my heart was in awe of this little precious child and her dependence on our heavenly Father. She's getting it! She knew where to turn . . . to the only One who can do it.

I seized the opportunity to ask a bit about her friends from her orphanage. Lately, whenever I bring up anything about her past in China she doesn't want to talk about it. It's as though she wants to push it away and not remember which I totally understand. However, we started talking about the little boy who shared her same nanny. I told her that he also needs a family. At first she acted like she didn't remember him. Then all on her own she announced, "Bu Noi needs a family." This is the amazing part because she did not even hesitate. Joy remembered this little girl who also shared her same nanny, and she called her by name.


Joy put her own feelings aside and felt compassion for another. She does remember, and she also gets it. She has a family, yet there are so many who do not. She again said, "Let's pray." Well, of course, I could not contain my emotions at this moment. I was in awe and completely overtaken by the compassion demonstrated by my young daughter. I immediately hugged her, spilling bubbles everywhere, and cried. She asked me why I was crying, and I told her that mommy feels sad for the other children who need families. She nodded her little head and folded her hands in prayer. Together we prayed for these children and asked God to please bring them families. Oh, how I pray for that! I so desire that other families may experience the beauty and wonder of adoption. There are countless treasures waiting to be loved, waiting for a family! Could you be one?