Thursday, April 11, 2013

There's No Place Like Home!

When you are away from home, you always appreciate what a blessing it is. We are so happy to be home! The night spent in the hospital was a bit rough, and the discomfort for little Joy is so hard. The loving care of the kind nurses, assistants, and volunteers is wonderful, yet constant. From about midnight on, Joy was already asking for the "wagon". The wagon? She remembered that the last time she left the hospital to go home, she rode in a wagon. We're not sure how much of the hospital stay she remembers, but the wagon with the pillows was apparently a standout. A ride in the wagon = home!



Joy slept so much better in her own bed, and so did we! On our first night home last time, Joy woke up almost every hour trying to get comfortable. Last night she woke up only a few times for Tylenol and a snuggle, and then she was right back to sleep. The exhaustion has passed, and it is amazing what sleep does for a body! Thank you, Lord!
I remember speaking with an international pediatrician before we accepted the referral for Joy. She positively encouraged us that the surgeries and casting would help with our bonding. So true! Actually, going through all of this has served to enhance our bonding and confirm our attachment. When we first saw Joy in recovery she was crying and scared. I could hardly get to her fast enough! She looked at me, and instantly I saw a flood of relief in her red, swollen eyes. Tears of relief continued for a few more seconds, and then she relaxed and melted into my arms. She was comforted by my presence and my touch. And in my heart, I knew for certain that we have a bond. It goes deep. I am her mommy, and she knows it! She is my daughter, and she trusts me and depends on me. This reminds me of my heavenly Father. All I need is His presence, His touch. I can trust Him and rest in His unfailing love. What a beautiful gift! I pray that Joy will come to know and understand her heavenly Father's love for her in a deep and profound way.
"Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, who walk in the light of your presence, O Lord." Pslam 89:15

Victory!


And now 1 month down . . . 4 more spica cast months to go!