Saturday, April 6, 2013

Surgery #2

We are three days away from Joy's second surgery. This time we know what to expect. There is less unknown. However, now that we know, we also understand more fully what we have to do. It makes me think of Christ and what He had to do. He understood it perfectly, and He went through it all willingly and with joy. What an incredible truth! His love is that wonderful! He sacrificed His perfect life in order to offer us forgiveness and hope.

"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:2

A dear friend recently reminded me of the fact that Joy's biological mother sacrificed. She put her hope in what is now happening for Joy. I choose to believe that she loved her daughter so much that she wanted what was best for her. She cared for her for eight months before she gave her up. These surgeries that we are facing are a fulfillment of her sacrifice. Joy has the opportunity to be whole physically. But more importantly, she has the opportunity to be whole spiritually. I pray that somehow her mother will know. I pray that somehow she may come to a saving faith in the only one who will bind up her wounds and give her hope.

"His pleasure is not in the strength of a horse, nor His delight in the legs of a man; the Lord delights in those who fear Him, who put their hope in His unfailing love." Psalm 147:11
 
As we prepare to go through this surgery a second time, I remember that Joy has already endured two eye surgeries without us. I think of her lying in a hospital alone without her mommy and daddy. It brings such pain to my heart, that I usually just push this thought away. Yet, I have to believe that her heavenly Father was always with her.
 
"Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." Hebrews 13:5
 
Joy now has us with her, loving her and caring for her. God is allowing us the privilege of being His hands and feet. Lately, Joy has been asking me to sing the words, "Oh no, You never let go . . .  Lord, You never let go of me." Oh, how I pray that she will believe this with all of her heart. I pray that as she receives and understands our love that she will also receive and understand God's love for her. And I pray that she will understand that every part of her story points to a loving God who has had a perfect plan for her life since the beginning of time. Her adoption is not plan B, it is plan A. It is His plan, and He is always good!
 
"Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8